Global Business Development (GBD) Global Alliance Management Lead (Director)
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Global Business Development (GBD) Global Alliance Management Lead (Director) in our Cambridge, MA office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Global Business Development (GBD) Global Alliance Management Lead (Director) working on the Global Alliance Management team, you will be empowered to maximize the value and minimize the risk of our partnered alliance and licensee programs by providing leadership, actively managing a portfolio of alliances/licensees, and establishing consistent best practices for each alliance across Takeda globally., and a typical day will include:
- This position is responsible for maximizing the value and minimizing the risk of our partnered alliance and licensee programs by providing leadership, actively managing a portfolio of alliances/licensees, and establishing consistent best practices for each alliance across Takeda globally. This role will support the strategies and business plans of Takeda and further establish Takeda as a preferred strategic partner of choice.
- Lead implementation of global alliance management (including global licensee management) best practices globally. Ensure individual alliances / licensees are set up for success, contribute to development of tools, processes and strategies to build global and regional organizational capability to support external partnerships.
- Contribute to Takeda as a world-class leader in commercial partnering, alliance management and execution.
- Directly manage a portfolio of individual alliances / licensee partnerships.
- Responsible for managing obligations and leading specific alliance-related activities to maximize value and minimize risk to Takeda commercial partnerships.
- Collaborates with external alliance / licensee managers and internal key stakeholders to establish a strong working relationship, manage key issues, ensure effective governance, drive successful execution of our partnered assets, and further establish Takeda as a preferred strategic partner of choice.
- Contribute to development of the annual financial plan and quarterly updates for assigned Licensees including supply volumes, revenue forecasts and royalty payments. Prepare and present annual strategic and financial plans and quarterly updates for licensee portfolio with revenue in excess of 500 Oku-yen. Plans include licensee strategies, renegotiations, repatriations, and product performance to maximize the portfolio value for Takeda throughout the MRP.
- Implement strategic initiatives to create an organizational alliance management capability which supports external partnerships and enables Takeda to achieve its growth plan and gain a reputation as a preferred alliance partner.
- Lead the development of tools and training to educate all Takeda dedicated and extended alliance team members to effectively manage alliance activities to maximize value and minimize risk, including conflict resolution with alliance partners.
- Proactively monitor contractual obligations and deliverables for both Takeda and its alliance partner to ensure responsibilities are met. Understands the relevant contractual agreement(s) in detail, including, strategic intent, obligations, including potential changes in partnership agreements and renegotiations. Lead process for revising contractual agreements as necessary.
- Identifies issues, including effective conflict resolution, proactively identifies and prepares risk mitigation action plans, and maintains oversight of the relationship health and communication with the partner, Takeda executive leader and alliance / licensee teams (as appropriate for the partnership).
- Develop and maintain key relationships and sphere of influence, both internally and externally to achieve alliance / Licensee partnership objectives.
- Design the governance of new alliances, including dispute resolution mechanisms. Lead the launches of new partnerships. Establishes and maintains the joint governance structure for existing partnerships; organizes and leads partnership governance meetings and processes. Ensure that all joint committees have shared goals, expectations, operating principles, and performance metrics. Organizes alliance / licensee meetings as required either internal to Takeda or joint meetings with the partner including developing the agendas, internal briefings, meeting leadership, minutes, and distribution of relevant material. Facilitates effective functioning of the alliance / licensee governance structure.
- Monitors and reports on the progress and status of the alliance / licensee. Monitor all alliance related activities and lead joint teams in resolving issues regarding effective communication, conflict or role clarity. Determines the cause, develop, and implements action plans to any identified issues.
- Ensures the alliance conforms to Takeda s policies and procedures. Ensures partners are fully-aware of and adhere to Takeda s ethics and compliance policies. Actively monitors processes, guidelines and policies within Takeda, leading any change management needed to facilitate the alliance / licensee implementation.
- Establish an alliance management community of practice network to provide collaborative support to advance key assigned alliance / licensee programs and key performance indicators (KPI s) to maximize the value of the partnership. Proactively identifies and addresses any is- sues.
- Actively identifies opportunities to improve the partnership.
- Minimizes out of scope or out of budget situations. Proactively identifies alliance partner issues, develop recommendations for risk mitigation actions in consultation with key stakeholders. Lead implementation of risk mitigation initiatives.
- Builds organizational capability to support external partnerships. Support and coach executives involved in partnerships to help imbed partnering best practices across the company.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline and an MBA or JD; other advanced degrees, including Certificate of Achievement in Alliance Management (CAAM) or Certified Strategic Alliance Professional (CSAP) certification a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
- 6+years experience in the biopharmaceutical industry
- 2 years experience in an Alliance Management or similar role working directly with alliance partners and as part of an alliance or account team
- Strong knowledge and understanding of global product development and commercialization in the pharmaceutical industry
- Significant experience in managing cross-functional, global teams; experience facilitating multi-disciplinary commercial teams preferred.
- Experience in and comfort with a fast-moving, matrixed organization
- Demonstrated high standards for work product and a strong work ethic
- Comfort in a high-performance, high-demand, high-expectations environment
- Self-starter, proactive, motivates with diplomacy, a team player with leadership skills
- Cultural awareness, experience and agility working across cross-cultural differences
- Facilitation or leadership of complex and cross-functional projects
- Significant experience working with or leading cross-functional and global teams
- Strong ability to influence and negotiate competing priorities, effectively adjusting style based on the specific scenario/relationship to achieve desired outcome.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to manage group / team dynamics, and conflict resolution
- Polished communications and presentation skills, written and oral communication of executive level information and recommendations; global and cross-functional
- Strong analytical and decision-making ability, ability to synthesize complex and diverse inputs related to a problem, recommend solutions/ preferred options. Ability to contribute to and influence corporate strategy.
- Entrepreneurial: demonstrates perseverance, identifies and actively pursues potential opportunities
- Direct Alliance / Licensee Management experience within pharmaceutical or biotech industry.
- Minimum 6 years experience in R&D, Marketing, Finance, Sales, Business Development & Licensing or relevant experience.
- 2 years experience in management-level positions with increasing responsibilities a plus
- Experience designing and implementing strategic initiatives to create organizational alignment and/or establish new capabilities.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams, including senior management members to achieve shared goals.
- Experience with long-term partnerships.
- Ability to participate in the development of overall strategy for Takeda Alliance / Licensee Management globally and lead alliance teams to successfully execute and implement alliance goals to support Takeda growth strategies and business plans.
- Ability to communicate ideas and data both orally and written in a persuasive and appropriate manner that ensures clarity amongst colleagues worldwide. Has confidence and diplomacy in interacting with people from different cultures and at all levels of the organization. Provides leadership to Takeda leadership teams across the company with demonstrated ability to influence without authority. Able to constructively voice opinions on sensitive issues to senior management. Manages ambiguity and is skilled in effective leadership of change management with teams.
- Decisions impact globally relevant alliance partnerships / key strategic partnerships and licensee collaborations which may have an individual value in hundreds of millions and as a portfolio >$1B.
- Outstanding decision quality. Consistently demonstrates good judgement. Strong problem-solving skills has an ability to identify the critical issues and root cause of a problem, then determine optimal solution or process, including key stakeholders and expertise as required to reach an optimal outcome.
- Consistently demonstrates ability to work collaboratively internally and externally with partners.
- Strong teamwork skills and an ability to understand others needs and motivations. Interpersonal savvy and diplomacy key to success in position.
- Ability to negotiate, understand interests, effectively represent Takeda s interests to an external party and agree on terms that are in best common interests and favorable to both parties.
- Position reports to Head of Global Alliance Management. Collaborates with key stakeholders, in Global Business Development, BU s, R&D TAU s, Legal, Finance, Manufacturing, Regions, Communications, and other senior executives. Works closely with staff, managers, leaders and committees from multiple functional areas.
- Strong knowledge and understanding across biopharmaceutical value chain, including key functions. Ability to clearly and concisely communicate alliance / licensee partner contractual obligations, and implications and potential risk. Leads and develops scenarios with key functional experts (Legal, Finance, Program leaders) to identify and develop various options for risk mitigation, including development of innovative solutions to resolve disputes.
- Routinely requires high level of problem-solving capability and business acumen, ability to balance competing priorities and quickly and objectively drive the team towards a path which maximizes value. This role requires the incumbent to rationalize both strategically and tactically and be able to present recommendations to senior leaders and other key internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to understand contractual agreement structure, terms, finances, obligations and implications to maximizing value and risk mitigation strategies to protect Takeda alliance / licensee partnership business portfolio.
- Ability to manage individual alliance / licensee partnerships across full range of Takeda portfolio, including strong knowledge and understanding of key biopharmaceutical functions relevant to global product development (Clinical, Regulatory) and commercialization (Marketing, Sales, Manufacturing, Supply, Market Access etc) for biopharma partnerships.
- Strong project management skills - ability to manage multiple high priority projects with good attention to detail.
- This position requires 20-35% travel, including international trips.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda s Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
EEO is the Law Supplement - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
Pay Transparency Policy - https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.