Head of Plasma-Derived Therapies (PDT) Translational Research
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Head of Plasma-Derived Therapies (PDT) Translational Research in our Cambridge, MA or Vienna, AT office.
The PDT BU R&D group is dedicated to bringing forward new therapeutic approaches based on plasma-derived therapies for patients with rare and complex diseases.Takeda believes there is tremendous potential to do more to meet patients and health care providers expectations with plasma-derived and plasma-oriented therapies for patients with immunologic, hematologic, and other complex diseases.This is a new R&D organizaiton, and the incoming leader will have the ability to create and define the future vision and operating model for the team.
The PDT R&D group is developing two innovation engines:
- Translational Pharmaceutical Sciences: This innovation engine will practice rapid-cycle innovation to test and develop improvements to existing products, develop new products, and improve yield. This combines translational research with pharmaceutical sciences and device, and it receive inputs from and into clinical research and manufacturing sciences.
- Precision Medicine: This engine will focus on developing comprehensive, value-oriented health care delivery packages around drug products, targeted to maximize benefit and reduce risk to precise patient populations. In the process, we expect that this engine will innovated the health care R&D paradigm by practicing patient-centric R&D.
The Head of PDT Translational Research is responsible for driving new, innovative research involving plasma-derived and plasma-related products, with the specific aim of translating research observations into potential development activities. The research includes identifying new and/or specific populations that may benefit from existing products, new products for development, refining dosing and delivery strategies, and supporting mechanism of action studies as needed. This leader will work closely with the Head of Pharmaceutical Sciences to implement the Translational Pharmaceutical Sciences innovation engine.
PDT R&D focuses first and foremost on developing therapies that will improve the health care outcomes of patients Takeda aims to serve. The Head of PDT Translational Research will:
- Develop a translational research strategy that aims to support development activities in PDT R&D
- Partner with the Head of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Devices to refine the framework for the Translational Pharmaceutical Sciences innovation engine
- Build a team of internally based scientists, co-located with Pharmaceutical Sciences, that is externally oriented (anticipate significant use of external expertise to execute on research strategies)
- Driving projects to rigorous assessments of therapeutic success (or failure) by testing clear scientific hypotheses as early, leanly, directly, and quickly as possible by the early POC stage of development. This pivot informs future scientific, medical, and business program approaches.
- Consider new research methods, such as systems pharmacology and pharmacometrics, to test rapidly new ideas in a translational framework
- Partner closely with PDT Clinical Medicine, especially Clinical Pharmacology (within PDT R&D and, when necessary external to PDT R&D), to develop early development plans for new projects
- Work with development teams to identify gaps in research plans on programs and address those gaps (as prioritized)
- Liaises with other R&D functions and development teams on joint projects to ensure smooth collaboration & knowledge/experience exchange
- Strives to support differentiation of the therapies
- Drives team to honor timelines & deliverables
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
- This is a senior leadership role on a new R&D team at Takeda. The incumbent must be creative, courageous, collaboravtive, and empowering.
- The team will be located in two global locations: ability to define a cohesive culture based on Takeda s values is critical.
- Expect 20% travel
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- The incoming leader must be comfortable with working in a fast-paced environment and comfortable with ambiguity
- Must show examples of strong leadership and collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams Demonstrated, effective, mature leadership is critical, including change management/leadership, strategic talent management, coaching and developing leadership communication, team building, and relationship building,
- Driving results is essential. Need to be able to motivate individuals to achieve and exceed goals by establishing accountabilities, clarifying performance expectations, agreeing to high standards and measures, monitoring and reviewing performance, and providing timely and relevant feedback.
- Demonstrated strategic thinker with an ability to create and drive a shared understanding of a long-term vision.
- Accountability takes responsibility for their own performance and accept full ownership of issues, problems, and opportunities, regardless of the source.
- Comfort with ambiguity is required.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation, including ability for divergent thinking and the propensity to question to traditional methods, processes, and products, as well as build on others' ideas.
- 10+ years of research in biopharmaceutical/ biotechnology industry experience is required
- Early clinical development experience is preferred but not required
- Comfortable knowledge of immunology and hematology therapeutic areas and
- Substantial experience in immunology and/or hematology translational reserach
- Successful track record of developing employees and team members is critical
- Advanced degree (PhD or MD (or equivalent)) is required
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
AUT - Austria Remote