The Immunobiologics group within Immunology Research at Takeda California is seeking an experienced Immunologist with extensive understanding of immunological pathways and mechanisms specifically related to autoimmunity and IBD biology. The successful candidate will independently design and implement experiments to address immunological mechanisms-of-action of therapeutic molecules from concept to data interpretation. The candidate will be expected to apply expertise across a number of practical skills, including gene editing techniques, molecular biology, primary cell culture, flow cytometry and cell-based assays. The role is a lab based research scientist who will also be responsible for participating on matrixed project teams, interfacing very closely with members of the Immunology, GI DDU and broader Global Biologics teams to design and optimize relevant invitro assays to support translational efforts by bridging discovery and development projects.
- Designs and develops in vitro and exvivo assays to understand mechanism of action responsible for preclinical efficacy for IBD applications with novel biologic modalities (including IgG, single domain Abs, CAR constructs, peptide fusions etc)
- Design and develop new regulatory CAR constructs directed against stress antigens, immunogenic antigens and microbial antigen targets
- Designs and develops in vitro models, to evaluate regulatory CAR to study tolerance and regulatory mechanisms related to mechanism in IBD, Celiac
- Design and perform multiparameter flow cytometry experiments
- Support drug discovery programs by providing relevant scientific and strategic input to project teams regarding relevant biomarkers and pharmacodynamic models.
- Design, execute and validate a variety of assays to understand target of interest and characterize different biologic therapeutic prototypes for IBD applications
- Develop and conduct in vitro and ex vivo mechanism of action studies to support data for efficacy studies
- Contribute and implements new ideas and in vitro proof of concept studies to enable initiation of new discovery project concepts.
- Work both independently and with the team to analyze data generated from experiments, draw appropriate conclusions and decide upon next steps.
- Function effectively in a matrixed environment as a part of both functional and cross functional teams by interfacing with project teams
- Supports protein/Ab engineering activities as needed.
- Troubleshoot complex problems in creative and effective ways; whenever necessary and actively participates in innovation and/or optimization of established processes to ensure project goals are met
- Spends 90% time in the laboratory, including hands on mentoring of scientists
- May manage ~2 junior individuals in the team
- Presents research findings clearly and effectively at internal and external meetings and with participants of all levels of the organization
- Maintain familiarity with the current scientific literature in the IBD field, contribute to new target ideas and concepts to identify information useful for the development of novel assays or the improvement of current processes and, where appropriate, to prepare applications to protect intellectual property.
- Maintains accurate, complete and timely data entry into laboratory notebooks
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- PhD in Immunology/Cell Biology/Oncology with at least 2-3 years of postdoctoral experience and a minimum of 4+ years of relevant experience, preferably in industry is required
- Publications in peer reviewed journals demonstrating achievement in the above
- Extensive hands-on experience and knowledge in a wide range of immunological HT assays using cell lines and primary immune cells including T cells, B cells, Macrophages and dendritic cells to design new approaches for anti-inflammatory mechanisms with a focus on biologics discovery and development.
- An understanding of the design and use of chimeric antigen receptors in cell therapy is highly desirable
- Experience in the design and construction of mammalian expression vectors and cell transfection and/or viral-mediated cell transduction, preferably of primary immune cells is highly desired
- Hands on experience and ability to work with minimum supervision in carrying out high throughput data acquisition, analysis, storage and reporting by FACS CANTO, FACS ARIA, ELISA, Luminex, MSD and other flow based cytokine assays is required.
- Have a keen interest in cell based therapies and their application to treat IBD, Celiac
- Experience with mammalian cell culture with best practices in tissue culture is required
- Experience with primary human cells and tissues is strongly desired
- Use of scientific databases and application for data management and data analysis
- Hands on experience with automated platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills,
- Excellent team player with a can-do attitude with an ability to thrive in a dynamic biotech- like environment and work in cross-functional project teams
- Innovative and critical thinking
- Self-motivated, collaborative with excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to advance multiple projects in a fast paced biotech like environment
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects up to 25 lbs.
- Working in a lab environment: standing, walking, bending, etc.
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 0-5% travel.