Novartis is recruiting for a Scientific Communications Director in support of the Ophthalmology Medical Unit (MU). It is preferable for this position to be located in East Hanover, New Jersey, however it may also be home-office based.
A global healthcare leader, Novartis has one of the most exciting product pipelines in the industry today. It is a pipeline of innovative medicines brought to life by diverse, talented, performance driven people. All of this makes us one of the most rewarding employers in our field. We're committed to peak performance, improving the quality of life, and embracing and leveraging diverse backgrounds, cultures and talents to achieve competitive advantage.
The Scientific Communications Director will provide strategic, operational, and communications support to the Field Medical National Director on national strategy development, therapeutic training, communications, and project prioritization, initiative planning & tracking within the Medical Unit.
Major activities will include:
1. Assist the Field Medical National Director in the translation of Medical Unit strategies into actionable field initiatives (insights, Medical Expert engagement, launch planning).
2. Support the successful execution of field initiatives through routine monitoring and metrics, (and collating insights when applicable), reporting to Field Medical Leadership Team (FMLT).
3. Partner with the Field Medical National Director in the development of a Medical Expert /Stakeholder mapping and engagement strategy for the development and brand portfolio including design of Field Medical strategic & tactical plans and launch readiness plans.
4. Partner with Director, Content Development (CDT) and align with FMLT to determine logistics & strategic communication plans for the Field Medical component of priority Medical Congresses:
>>>Develop & recommend Field Medical coverage plans/needs in collaboration with FMLT based on Medical Unit strategy & product prioritization, as well as budget considerations.
>>>Own the design & development of Field Medical CI/insight deliverables
>>>Coordinate Field Medical meeting logistics, including ME engagements for priority congresses with meeting planner or MU admin.
>>>Educate and support Medical Meeting Scientific Director Lead(s) to ensure execution of Medical Congress De-briefs where applicable.
5. Responsible for the design & execution of the Field Medical Communications for respective Medical Unit.
>>>Streamline field communications by packaging all relevant information and ensuring timely, efficient dissemination through appropriate channels (Bulletin, email, collaboration space, team portal, teleconference, etc).
>>>Coordinate and create routine Bulletin content for respective Field Medical team.
>>>Partner with CDT to ensure training/tools incorporated into and aligned with tactical planning.
6. Establish processes to infuse actionable insights/needs from Field Medical into Medical Product, Medical Unit strategies and, where appropriate, other internal stakeholders. Partner with MPT to identify and revise Key Intelligence Topics and proactive insight initiatives where appropriate.
7. Support the Field Medical National Director/FMLT in all aspects of project management including planning, implementation, and tracking of project/project needs. Support budget planning as needed.
8. Participate in FMLT and actively contribute feedback regarding OTR, MSL performance, and support candidate interviews
9. Design plans in collaboration with Medical Unit Director of Operations and/or National Director/FMLT to ensure appropriate Field Medical support/planning for Speaker Training and Sales Training as appropriate.
10. Partner with Medical Directors in Medical Unit to ensure strategic alignment of initiatives with Medical Product Plans and overall MU strategy
About 30% travel is required.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
This position will be filled commensurate with experience.
Doctoral degree preferred (M.D., Ph.D., or PharmD)
3-5 years postdoctoral experience preferred.
Superior interpersonal communication skills with customer service orientation
Strong cross-functional collaboration, influencing, and negotiation skills
Demonstrated ability in project management, prioritization and strong organizational skills
Working knowledge in multiple disease areas across franchise(s) preferred
Knowledge of the US market and the stakeholders influencing decisions
Thorough understanding of the FDA, OIG, HIPAA and other guidelines relevant to the pharmaceutical industry and Novartis including US Medical SOPs, Ethics and Compliance guidance, and ATM rules of engagement
Knowledge of Novartis strategic planning processes and organizational interfaces
US healthcare business and market knowledge required
Prior experience in Field Medical role is preferred
East Hanover, NJ based preferred with ability to travel (US and International) approximately 30%
* If a direct employer requests that you go to their web site and complete your application there in order to be
considered, please do so. Applications for all positions are subject to each employer's specific requirements.